Viewing Boston and the surrounding area through tourist's eyes.

----------------------------------------------

Thanks for hanging in there with me. I haven't had time to post, but I did update the "Coming Attraction" section of my blog. Check it out when you get a change and feel free to add to it via comments.

Monday, April 19, 2010

Celebrating Marathon Monday

Let me first say congratulations to anyone who ran today.  Since I really don't like running myself, I cannot even imagine what it took for you to complete all 26.2 miles today - I bow to you all.

This is not my first Boston Marathon, but it is the first time I went downtown - I am glad I did.  Listening to the pre-race interviews and hype most racers commented about Boston's supportive crowd.  I spent some time I was along the side cheering along Beacon street, but the crowd and amount of cheering was nothing compared with what goes on toward the end of the race. (After watching the elite pack pass by Washington Square, I went downtown to take in the sights.)  

I had no idea what to expect when I went downtown, but what I encountered was awesome.  Standing four deep on either side of Boylston Street people were cheering on the runners.  Applause, cow bells and cheers greeted the runners as the rounded the corner on to Boylston Street and didn't seem to cease until the runners crossed the finish line.  But even then volunteers were congratulating the runners as they passed out water, blankets and food.  I was just impressed with the amount of support and encouragement for the runners.


I was also surprised with how much of downtown is roped off (but it makes sense if you think of the all the runners that participate in the race) My goal today was to get pictures (for this post) of the finish line.  While I got the photos, I chose the wrong side of the street to walk down.    So for all of those first timers who head downtown next year for the race - select the side of the street you walk down carefully (once you chose you cannot cut across). 

If you chose to walk next to the Prue you will have access to food carts and some freebies (I got a bag and muscle milk), however you will be unable to easily get next to the finish line - you are stopped about a block away (and then it is a 5 or 6 block detour around buses and event related tents to Arlington before you can cross over)  Walking on the other side of Boylston will give you an almost straight shot to the finish line (there is a one block detour) but you miss out on the free stuff.

Despite the unexpected amount of walking I did, I must say I am glad I walked next to the Prue.  Doing so allowed me to see the huge number of buses holding the runner's things (keys, change of clothes, etc) the assembly line of volunteers passing out blankets, medals, food and water.  I also got to hear the announcers direct the runners which was entertaining (one spoke of a new Gatorade product and told the runners they were going to be guinea pigs since they got to try it - made me smile).

Besides the immense size of the marathon, there is a lot of history surround the race (but I will let you look that up so this post does not get to long).  However, I would love to hear about your experience with the race (audience or runner) and hope you had a great day if you were along any part of the route.

No comments:

Post a Comment