Viewing Boston and the surrounding area through tourist's eyes.

----------------------------------------------

Thanks for hanging in there with me. I haven't had time to post, but I did update the "Coming Attraction" section of my blog. Check it out when you get a change and feel free to add to it via comments.

Friday, April 16, 2010

Artistic Discovery at Boston Art Museums

Before I get to far into this post I have a confession - I am not a huge art museum fan.  The ability to stand in front of a painting, sculpture, photograph, or art instillation contemplating its beauty is lost on me.  I go through these museums at a stroll, meandering past the artwork, maybe pausing occasionally to take a second look at a piece (but that is usually as long as it lasts) admiring how pretty, realistic or unusual a piece.  That said, I have taken strolls through three of Boston's art museums: The Museum of Fine Arts, The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum and the Institute of Contemporary Art.  All three museums offer something different to visitors and are more than just a museum.

Located at the MFA T stop, the MFA is your average art museum, but it is really large.  After spending about an hour strolling through its exhibits and halls I left without seeing several of the halls.  The MFA is also building a new wing which will increase the amount of artwork displayed and art of the Americas.

The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum is a unique one.  The building was the home of Isabella Stewart Gardner and upon her death was turned into a museum.  Therefore, instead of artwork hanging in a nice neat row, it is hung anywhere it would fit (at least that is how it looks to me).  Basically everywhere you look you will find art - floor to ceiling, stairwell, in the courtyard - EVERYWHERE.  Personally I think it give the museum a bit of character.

Of the three museums, I must admit the ICA is not my favorite - but I think that is largely due to the actual museum building (it is a bit odd and ugly).  From what I can gather - based on my visit during the Shepard Fairey exhibit - the top floor is where the artwork is displayed.  I will admit I am not very familiar with the ICA, so anything you can add would be helpful.

All three museums offer student discounts, accessible by public transportation and host various events.  During the summer the Gardner usually invites musician to play in the courtyard and other events year round.  Similarly the IMF  hosts cocktail hours and is free on Wednesdays.  Visit the calendar section of their website for a list of events.  The ICA also has a calendar available on their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment