Viewing Boston and the surrounding area through tourist's eyes.

----------------------------------------------

Thanks for hanging in there with me. I haven't had time to post, but I did update the "Coming Attraction" section of my blog. Check it out when you get a change and feel free to add to it via comments.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth

I LOVE sweets!  If it was possible to not gain 100 pounds, I would make dessert my meal on at least a weekly basis - if not more.  (I like my fruits, veggies and breakfast foods too, so I wouldn't be able to have dessert for every meal).  While I can't make dessert my meal, I can treat myself to some of Boston's AMAZING baked goods.

My favorite bakeries (and honestly the only ones I have really gone to - but they are SO good) are Mike's Pastry and Modern Pastry.  Both are located in the North End on Hanover Street and both offer some great treats.

Go flipping through most guide books and you will find Mike's Pastry listed. I have had the chance to try a handful of their baked goods and must say that it is all excellent.  And if my vote isn't good enough, walk down Hanover Street on a Friday night and look for their blue and white pastry boxes, or join the line that winds its way outside the store.  I usually go in during the day so I haven't had to stand in too long of a line. (Tip for surviving Mike's - once you get close to the counter they really don't have any official lines.  Keep an eye out for who is in front of you and when the staff asks for "Who's next?" step on up with your order when it is your turn.)

Modern Pastry is another great bakery in the North End.  As one Bostonian told me - Mike's is were the tourists go, Modern is where the locals go.  Modern is much smaller than Mike's, and there has always been a line when I have gone in.  They also have a cafe section, but I have never eaten in at Modern.  (Modern's line is more organized and their line runs along their display case, which makes it easier to see what goodies they have)

I definitely recommend you go to both places.  If you can't try everything and have to chose, I suggest you get any of Mike's pies or cakes - they have huge pieces - and go to Modern for their cannoli - they are filled fresh when you order them.

Two other reason I love these bakeries - they put your stuff in boxes and tie it with string and they have neon signs - GOTTA LOVE IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment