Viewing Boston and the surrounding area through tourist's eyes.

----------------------------------------------

Thanks for hanging in there with me. I haven't had time to post, but I did update the "Coming Attraction" section of my blog. Check it out when you get a change and feel free to add to it via comments.

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Local Haunts - Visiting Historic Cemeteries

When I was a kid I would have preferred to be anywhere but in or near a graveyard.  All those dead people were creepy - and the books I read about ghosts and vampires didn't help my love of cemeteries.  However, somewhere along the line I have developed an interest in cemeteries - not in a crazy psycho way - I find the calming.  It provides a visual representation of the past and those who came before me.

Just like other historic cities, Boston has its share of cemeteries and each is filled with notable individuals.  While there are many, want to point out three located on the Freedom Trail: King's ChapelCopp's Hill and Granary Burying Ground.

King's Chapel Burying Ground is the first cemetery in Boston.  Located next to King's Chapel - the nation's first evangelical church, the cemetery is the final resting place for some of Boston's first residence, including its Massachusetts' first governor John Winthrop (he gave the "city upon the hill" sermon).

The city's second cemetery was Copp's hill.  Of the three cemeteries I think it is the prettiest - it as least has the most grass.  Copp's hill also sits  - as its name suggests - on a hill and offers a great view of the city and was a great lookout point during the Revolutionary War.  Like King's Chapel there are some famous people buried here (but I don't know who they are).  It is also a stop on the Ghost and Gravestone Tour at which you get to hear some unique stories about the cemeteries permanent residences.

My favorite cemetery is Granary Burying Grounds.  It is home to many Revolutionary War patriots - meaning it is where I know the most individuals. The Granary Burying Grounds is the third oldest in the city.  Grain used to be stored in the building where Park Street Church now stands - hence the cemetery's name.  There are 5,000 individuals who are buried in the cemetery, but is only has 2,300 (give or take a few) gravestones - many graves were reused because of space limitations.  And just so you know,  graves are still being discovered.  Last year a tourist fell into a previously unknown crypt when the ground gave way (don't worry she was unharmed).

When I first went to the cemetery the two graves I wanted to see the most were the Boston Massacre gravestone and John Hancock's - which I will never be able to look at the same again thanks to one of my friends (look at the shape, think of John's last name and let your mind wonder - you'll get there too.)

No comments:

Post a Comment