Viewing Boston and the surrounding area through tourist's eyes.

----------------------------------------------

Thanks for hanging in there with me. I haven't had time to post, but I did update the "Coming Attraction" section of my blog. Check it out when you get a change and feel free to add to it via comments.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Gotta Love Old Ironsides

I am enamored with the USS Constitution.  The first time I ever traveled to Boston (for an college visit)  the only tourist thing my mom and I were able to do was see the USS Constitution - more accurately attempt to see it (we never made it but got soaking wet in the attempt).   Five years later I finally got to see Old Ironsides - in the rain no less.  Gotta love it when things come full circle.


Because I love this ship so much, I can't get through this post without a history lesson (please bear with me I will keep it short).  The USS Constitution is the oldest, commissioned warship afloat in the world and the flagship of the US Navy.  Among other things this means that the individuals leading the ship tours are active duty US Navy sailors.  It also means that the USS Constitution can go out into the harbor and rises and falls with the tides.  The USS Constitution is also undefeated in battle and gained her nickname "Old Ironsides" from her famous battle with HMS Guerriere when a sailor noticed cannon balls bouncing off the ship's sides.  Okay that is enough history (there may be more scattered in, but I will try to keep to a minimum).

Besides being a cool, old, historic, wooden boat, I like visiting Old Ironsides because you can actually go below deck and see the inside of the ship.  Given by sailors stationed at the Navy Yard, the tours guides are great storytellers and share stories and fun history about USS Constitution and what life on the ship would have been like.  Tours are free, just make sure to watch your heads when you go below - there are low ceilings.

I could go on and on about the USS Constitution - I even did an in-depth assignment on is restorations for another class - but I will spare you.  I will say that if you have seen the ship in the past year, you definitely need to go back this summer.  It has been undergoing restoration so it is missing some of its grandeur and I believe most of the work will be done by then.

The easiest way to get to the Charlestown Navy Yard, home of the USS Constitution, is to take the water shuttle from Long Wharf.  It costs the same as a T ride, but to my knowledge the boats have no way of reading the plastic CharlieCards.  Old Ironside is open year round and once you have finished your ship tour you can always check out the USS Constitution museum.  One final thing, the USS Constitution usually goes out into the harbor on July 4th, at one time lottery tickets were available for civilians to be on the ship when this happens.  I can't find any information right now (if you know if please share) but I will keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. My mother toured Old Ironsides with her class ca. 1934. I toured the ship in 1995. Mom remembered having free run of the ship when she toured it. I had a rigidly guided tour, of course. I recall that many of the hooks that were used to hang hammocks were missing and I suspect they have been taken by souveinir hunters, sad... I have loved wooden ships since boyhood and that visit in '95 is one of the salient points of my life. Thanks for this nice gallery.

    ReplyDelete