Viewing Boston and the surrounding area through tourist's eyes.

----------------------------------------------

Thanks for hanging in there with me. I haven't had time to post, but I did update the "Coming Attraction" section of my blog. Check it out when you get a change and feel free to add to it via comments.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Explore the New England Aquarium

As one who once aspired to be a marine biologist, I have been to my share of aquariums.  The most memorable ones offer something unique and the New England Aquarium is no exception.  When you walk into the aquarium you are confronted with a penguin exhibit (I have never seen that many penguins at an aquarium) and a four-story circular fish tank - two things that set the New England Aquarium apart from others.

My favorite part of the penguin exhibit are the rockhoppers because they always make me smile.  Just look at the plumage they have on the side of their heads for the reason why - to me it looks like they are having the worst hair day ever.  Two other species of penguins are also on display - African penguins (who can be quiet talkative) and the blue penguin.  Depending on when you get to the aquarium you may be able to the trainers doing a feeding or giving a presentation.  If you have to chose, I would recommend the feeding.  It is fascinating to watch the birds hop to the trainers and swallow the fish whole.

The fish tank is HUGE and to get to each floor in the aquarium you walk up a ramp the circles around the tank.  As you walk around it you get the chance to see many species of fish, a shark or two, and of course Myrtle the sea turtle - an aquarium resident for almost 40 years.  You may also see divers in the tank feeding the fish or keeping the tank clean.  After you have made your way up the ramp - stopping on each floor of course - head up the stairs to look down into the tank - that is how I got the picture to the left, but I don't think it is Myrtle.  (If anyone knows for sure please let me know.)

On each level of the aquarium you will find several smaller tanks - but than again anything is small when compared to the four-story tank - and other exhibits.  Depending on where you are in the aquarium you will see some interesting creatures.  My favorites are the seadragons and lionfish.

Besides fish and penguins, the aquariums is also home to Northern fur seals and Atlantic harbor seals (among other animals).  As with the penguins, depending on when you arrive at the aquarium you may be able to catch a seal show.  The shows are educational and fun, so if you get a chance I would definitely take some time to watch it.

Finally, for those of you who might not be into aquariums, if you find yourself in the general area (Central Wharf right next to the Aquarium T stop) walk of over and check out the harbor seals.  Their enclosure is outside for all to see.  It is one of my favorite places to walk by - the seals make me smile - and it is just a neat sight to behold.

Of course there are other exhibits at the aquarium, but the ones I mentioned in this post are my favorite.  I don't expect you to just like these, so please share some of your favorite experiences and exhibits in the aquarium.

No comments:

Post a Comment