Viewing Boston and the surrounding area through tourist's eyes.

----------------------------------------------

Thanks for hanging in there with me. I haven't had time to post, but I did update the "Coming Attraction" section of my blog. Check it out when you get a change and feel free to add to it via comments.

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Enjoying the Park - Boston Common and Public Gardens

Sitting in the shadows of Park St. Church, the Massachusetts State Capital, Cheers and a number of other well-known buildings lies the Boston Common and the Public Garden - two historical areas that are home to (among other things) the Frog Pond, the Swan Boats and the Make Way For Ducklings statues.    Too frequently I find myself walking swiftly passed them as I hurry to my final destination - well maybe not my FINAL destination, but at least to the T.  This weekend I decided to spend some time in the parks and actually enjoy the area.  I have done this a few other times and have always been greeted with some pretty interesting sights.    

The Boston Common, originally used to provide entertainment in the form of hangings and maybe some cow tipping (since it was used as a community pasture in the 1800s), is a great place to relax and take in the sites.  While I was there on Saturday I saw people cutting hair as a fundraiser, two individuals performing as living statues, a tour group and Fulan Gong practicioners (who were practically statues themselves).  On other visits to the Common I have seen people running in togas and what appeared to be a mini circus performances - turned out they were Alice and Wonderland enthusiasts (it was around the same time the movie was released).

The Public Garden is also a great place to take a stroll through or relax on a bench - of which there seem to be more in the Garden than the Common (but I wasn't actually counting).  One of the many attractions in the Garden is the Make Way For Duckling statue.  I was not read the book growing up (I recently yelled at my parents for that oversight), so the few other times I walked passed the statues I just thought - "oh how cute" - and moved on.  This time I decided to spend some time by the statues and enjoyed watching people interact with them.  Yes, I said interact - the kids sat on the ducks and people of all ages were fixing the ducklings' spring hats (even the adults were doing this).  It was nice seeing everyone take pride in and caring for the statues.  

I must say that if you haven't wondered through these areas recently, go do so.  And as you are wondering around make sure to look behind you - sometimes it is a better view than what is in front.  It is a great way to spend an afternoon and I gained a better appreciation for these two areas - and really enjoyed the unusual sites (really the guys were in togas!)  And if you have been to the Boston Common or the Public Garden recently, I would love to hear what you saw - I just know that togas and circuses are just the tip of the iceberg.

No comments:

Post a Comment