Viewing Boston and the surrounding area through tourist's eyes.

----------------------------------------------

Thanks for hanging in there with me. I haven't had time to post, but I did update the "Coming Attraction" section of my blog. Check it out when you get a change and feel free to add to it via comments.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Looking For Tourist Ideas?


I am absolutely horrible at thinking ahead and making plans - I have dubbed myself "Queen of Last Minute" because of it.  Playing Tourist is slowly helping to dethrone me (I like visiting the places I write about, so I have to plan ahead a bit), but it has also left me looking for ideas on where to go.  While I have not visited ALL of the stereotypical Boston tourist attractions, I have visited a good number of them, so recently I find myself planning ahead (shocker) and searching for other places to go in the coming months.

In my search for things to do I have learned that besides having tons of tourist attractions, Boston also has a lot of publications and websites that talk about these attractions.  If you find yourself in the same situation, here are some places you can look at for ideas.

Panorama - I recently discovered this magazine and it is great!  Available in most hotels, this publication covers events and attractions that tourists might be interested in - just want I need.  If you aren't interested in dropping by a hotel every two weeks, you can get it delivered or check out their website.

The Improper Bostonian - This bimonthly entertainment and lifestyle magazine also contains a listing of various events from gallery openings to sporting events and sight seeing locations.  Unlike Panorama, you can find this magazine in newsboxes around the city (similar to stands you pick the Metro up from).  However, if you want it delivered to you that is also an option.

The Boston Phoenix - The event listing in the Phoenix is very extensive, including information on clubs, comedy, dances, talks, events (my favorite), gay and lesbian, and benefits - just to name a few.  Like Improper, you can find The Boston Phoenix weekly in newsboxes around the city as well as online.  

Of course there are numerous websites featuring tourist attractions as well.  "Sightseeing via the Web" contains some sites I have found helpful.  If you know of any others, please share - the more the merrier.  (Heads up - Not for Tourist is really on the list because I love the title - it contains information for daily living rather than tourist attractions).  


No comments:

Post a Comment