Viewing Boston and the surrounding area through tourist's eyes.

----------------------------------------------

Thanks for hanging in there with me. I haven't had time to post, but I did update the "Coming Attraction" section of my blog. Check it out when you get a change and feel free to add to it via comments.

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Its Easy Being Green In Boston

I have never been one to celebrate St. Patrick's Day, but living in Boston I have found it hard to ignore the draw of the Irish. For a city that practically bleeds green, especially in March, it is easy to get caught up in the celebration.  While St. Paddy's Day isn't for a few more days, the parade in Southie was today (I chose not to brave the rain, but I know a bunch of people did).  However, I must say that if you have never seen the parade, you should get out there.  It is a great parade with floats, fire trucks, mounted police, several groups playing bagpipes, guys in kilts (what is not to love about that?), politicians shaking hands, union workers dressed as Tin Men, and other groups celebrating the Irish (check out the storm troopers) and if that isn't enough its been going on since 1901, so you know it has to be good.  When I saw the parade last year I my favorite part of the parade were the bagpipes and the procession of Boston's emergency service vehicles - including the Crime Scene Response and Boston's Communication Command Trailer.


The parade begins at the Broadway T stop and winds through South Boston, ending at Andrew Square.  Everything I have seen recommends you watch the parade along Broadway - I didn't and still had a great view.  I would however recommend you show up early to get a good spot.  Note - if you plan to watch the parade close to Andrew Square you can leave later since it takes time for the parade to get to the end (I learned that the hard way).  It is also a good idea to plan extra time to get to the parade.  The T gets really crowded, but it does provide for great people watching.  One last piece of advice, be careful how much you drink - there are no public restrooms available ANYWHERE.  So unless you can get into a bar - and they are all pretty crowded - you are going to have to hold it.

If the parade does not quench your Irish thirst, there are many other ways to celebrate the luck of the Irish.  Boston is home to a number of Irish pubs and also has a three-mile Irish Heritage Trial.  If you are looking for other ways to be "Irish for a day" check out Boston Irish Tourism Association - it seems to have a good list of Irish related activities and places - or visit Boston's Irish Pubs for a list of area watering holds.  Out of all the Irish Pubs in the area I have only been to the Green Dragon Tavern, which had decent food and was pretty packed with St. Paddy's revelers, but I know there are other good pubs out there.  If you have any suggestions on good locations to be Irish for a day, please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment